HCMC is full of shops- from tourist tat to high end goods, the city has it all. To help guide you through, we’ve broken this section down into category of shops for where to spend your dong.
- Ben Thanh Market– Tshirts, shoes, fake backpacks, chop stick sets, tea sets, etc. Bargain, bargain, bargain.
- Saigon Square– Nam Ky Khoi Nghia– An air conditioned version of Ben Thanh- many of the same items without the chaos. Filled with knock off North Face items and other brands. (note: often referred to as the ‘Russian Market’)
- Pham Ngu Lao/Bui Vien/De Tham- This is the backpacker area and thus has the best selection of tourist items. Bui Vien is particurally good for picking up cheap yet good quality books, DVDs and CDs.
Clothes & Houseware:
- Gaya- 1 Nguyen Van Trang, District 1- An upmarket shop with a range of well-designed clothes and homeware. Lots of silk and embroidered dresses and nice furniture.
- Ipa Nima- 85 Pasteur Street, District 1- Unusual, funky handbags- unique but with a hefty price tag.
- Khai Silk – Dong Khoi, District 1- The Khai silk empire is found throughout the country. Expect to find high-quality silks, bags and other items at a price tag to match.
- Saigon Center- Le Loi, District 1- Top floors have lots of high-end homeware shops and a few western brand stores.